The New Year is well and truly underway and only about *8% of us have actually stuck to those resolutions we so emphatically promised to ourselves we would keep. Now, the post it notes on the fridge and bathroom mirror just mock us.
If this sounds like you pay attention.
You realize it is nearing the silly season towards the end of November and you decide to join a gym.
After one week, it becomes too much (work, Christmas parties, life) and you think to yourself that there is not much point now anyway, you may as well consume as much pudding bubbles as you can and start training for a marathon on the 2nd of January – the 1st will most likely be a write-off.
Come middle of Jan, you are still in holiday mode and put it off till February, assuring yourself that 1 month won’t hurt, February has got a nicer ring to it anyway.
You then come up with excuses as to why being fit is so hard (memberships are expensive, there aren’t enough hours in a day, you feel self-conscious around others) and then by the time you know Christmas decorations are up again and you’re counting in 2018.
Well, here are some easy tips and tricks on how to stick with your fitness goals this New Year.
- Without smaller stepping stones, you’ll never cross the creek. Set smaller, achievable objectives rather than just one big one.
- Make goals you know you can stick to. If you’ve never been an early riser, don’t tell yourself that you will get up before work to go for a run. Go after work. And vice versa.
- Set realistic goals and then slowly increase them – start off by working out twice a week and work your way up
- celebrate milestones leading up to the greater goal
- ENJOY IT! So often people fail because they are forcing themselves to do activities they loathe, therefore making the whole ordeal 10 times as difficult and likely to fail
- Especially for those exercise goals, injury prevention is key. Listen to your body. Don’t think you are invincible and remember to start slow.
If you’re starting exercise for the first time or going back to it after a long break and are prone to injury, a 2 second Zen Sports Spray provides fast and effective topical pain relief and promotes blood circulation to relieve pain and inflammation. It relieves and helps prevent any pre or post activity injuries which means you are on track to reach those goals without the added risk of injury or pain getting in the way